Do Millenials and Generation Z get a fair shake

Kassandra Hart, Staff Writer

Older Generations badmouthing Millennials and Generation Z: nothing new, right? We’ve all been there, listening to adults bash us for always being on our phones, buying unhealthy food, not going out as much, being anti-social. But has anyone stopped to think about why that is? I know my parents and grandparents like to talk about how they were always out and about, hanging out with friends, going to drive-in theaters, spending their allowances on things like hamburgers and sodas and that new album by whatever band was “hot”. But what happens when a generation is deprived of those luxuries because of a declining economy and a lack of spending money?

I talked to several students in the high school and asked if they are given an allowance. I know many students, myself included, who have never been given an allowance, and were expected to get our chores and homework and other responsibilities done without a tangible reward. We were often given money if we asked for it, though. 9/10 of the students I spoke with have never been given a set allowance, and over half of those students have a job.

I also talked to several teachers to get their standpoint on younger generations. Mr. Godfrey says he doesn’t have a standpoint. He believes people are people, and what they do is their business. He was asked if he thought students had changed in the past 30 years or so that he’s been a teacher, and he says no. Technology has changed but students haven’t. Mr. Metz said he doesn’t think students have changed, either. He talked about how his generation likes to bash teenagers and young adults, but there is no reason to hate on Millennials.  CIHS Principal Dr. Damiani believes it is difficult, if not impossible, for one generation to conform to set expectations. She stated that the way a generation acts depends on the era. Mr. Kennedy believes that older generations treat the younger generations the same way that they treat everyone else, but their opinions may differ depending on the person. He believes each case is different. Ms. Eichinger is not only a teacher, but also a Millennial. She believes each case is different, just like Mr. Kennedy, but she also believes that older generations have stereotyped Millennials into being lazy, no good, entitled children. Millennials and younger generations should not be stereotyped.

Other students gave their input on why adults like to bash us. One student believes the older generations didn’t put in as much effort as they think they did, so Millennials were there to take the blame. Another student thinks the adults believe they had better childhoods. Adults’ lives were simpler when they were younger, so they don’t understand the struggle of growing up in a broken economy.

Many adults like to tell us that we have it easy, that we don’t have to work for what we have like they did; but the contrary is true. I know of more teenagers and young adults that work for most of what they have, that help with bills and essentials, that don’t get luxury items except for during holidays. Millennials and Generation Z have learned that nothing comes easy and that everything in life requires hard work. If you ask a Generation Z what they spend their paychecks on, most will not answer with simple self-indulging items, but instead talk about how they are saving for college, paying car insurance and gas, or even helping pay bills. If you ask a Millennial what they spend their checks on, they’ll most likely tell you they are paying bills, paying off student loans, and/or saving for the future. It’s not just that we don’t take the easy way- it’s that there is no easy way.

All in all, I believe older generations may be guilty, or even angry, over the fact that they ruined the economy and Millennials aren’t contributing to the zeitgeist they had set. Their blame on Millennials and Generation Z is not justified, and the younger generations will continue to fight against the hate.