Mr. Viesselman strives to be a rock star

Abby Milles, Staff Writer

Most people have something special they enjoy. Some may play a sport, act in a play, or perform a speech. Others may argue in debate, or portray a character in mock trial. Many different activities are available for the many different people out there. Other people however, prefer to have hobbies. Collecting is a popular hobby among many people. Some collect stamps while others collect quarters or any other various items. In our own school alone I am sure many students, teachers, and staff collect items of intrigue to them.

Mr. Viesselman in particular has a liking towards collecting agates. When interviewed, he stated that he started collecting at the young age of six. He was introduced to agate collecting by his family. IT started out with family vacations because no agates could be found where Mr. Viesselman grew up. Mr. Viesselman reported that he, his father, and his siblings still to this day collect agates. He explained how collecting agates is very special in tying him to his family and the memories he has made with them.

When asked how many agates he has currently, Mr. Viesselman said thousands. He explained how he keeps them in a display case where friends and family can easily see them. When asked of any others who collect agates he said there are many clubs, groups, and organizations he has heard of. Mr. Viesselman may not be apart of a group but he has traded with some collectors. Mr. Viesselman stated how he decides not to polish his agates, even though his father does. He said he doesn’t like to get rid of the extra material, so instead he uses chemicals to make the agates shine without the loss of rock.
Lastly, Mr Viesselman was asked what intrigues him about agates. He replied saying how every agate is unique and there are no others quite like it. He also found it fascinating how agates are formed naturally. When asked how his background in science affected his collecting, he said he enjoyed agates also because they are “sciency”.
Mr. Viesselman is only one person who collects agates, many other people collect rocks, paper clips, candy, or any number of different things. Someone can learn a lot about a subject if they are just willing to ask, listen, and learn. If you don’t collect anything, ask someone who you know does, maybe start your own collection that grows over time. Anything can be collected. See what you start.