Q & A with Dr. Steve Gibbs

Q & A with Dr. Steve Gibbs

Julia Pendergast, Student Editor

Where are you from?
I grew just outside of Cambridge on Green Lake. I attended Princeton High School.

Have you taught anywhere else?
I began my teaching career at Cambridge Middle School teaching 5th grade. After two years at CMS, I joined the team at Isanti Intermediate School teaching 4th grade. I taught 4th grade for four years before moving into the Technology Integration Specialst role at CIHS/IMS/MNC/CMS. I spent six months in that role prior to moving into the Assistant to the Principal role at IMS/MNC for a year and a half. After that I accepted the Principal position at Stewartville Middle School (10 minutes south of Rochester). After two years at Stewartville Middle School I took on the role of High School Principal/Middle School Principal at Stewartville Public Schools.

What is your favorite part of teaching?
My favorite part of teaching is seeing students grow as people. Being able to use a teaching to connect to life is something that I value. Seeing students become well rounded citizens is something that I am very passionate about.

What do you think of the CIHS staff and students so far?
I am incredibly impressed by the quality of people at CIHS. I knew from my previous experience at Cambridge-Isanti that this was a special place. The people of this school and community is the reason our family chose to come back.

Which are do you teach/work in?
Main Office

If you had to pick another subject to teach what would it be?
Having been an elementary education teacher I was able to teach every subject area, and I truly loved each one. Every subject matter is critically important and can better a person as a whole.

Choose one superpower what would it be and why? Superhero name?
If I could have one superpower it would be to infuse the world with positivity. The world tends to focus on the negative, and I think we can enjoy life so much if we choose to focus on what’s right rather than what’s wrong.

Favorite music genre? Artist?
I was a wedding DJ for ten years, so I learned to love every genre of music. My Spotify account is a crazy mix of everything!

If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Buffalo Wings or a perfectly cooked burger

Dream travel location?
Anywhere that I can relax and hang out with my family.