STMA graduate Jaylen Hakes joins the Bluejackets

I grew up in Albertville Minnesota and graduated from STMA High School. After high school, I went to the University of Minnesota Duluth where I was originally going to study computer science. It took me one computer science class to realize that it wasn’t for me. I knew I liked math, but didn’t quite know what I wanted to do. I started thinking of teaching my sophomore year of college and each time I put some thought into it, the more I saw myself becoming a teacher. Helping kids is one of the greatest things I can think of doing. So, I graduated in 5 years at Duluth with a secondary education degree and a math minor last. This is actually my first job out of college.
My personal life is accompanied by my wife Kitri and our dog Case. My wife and I met in high school and got married in September 2019. We moved to Cambridge in July of this year, so we are still trying to get to know the town.
I love to golf as much as I can. Hunting and fishing are also fun hobbies of mine. So when it comes to a favorite season, it’s a mix of summer and fall because that’s when I can enjoy my hobbies.
My biggest bucket list item would be to golf Augusta National. This is where the Masters are held every year. I know that my chances of golfing this course are slim to none, but it would be an amazing experience.
I have been on a lot of vacations and it is hard to choose just one as my best/favorite. When I was 12, my family took a vacation to Maui, Hawaii. When I was 18, my family took a trip to Isla Mujeres in Mexico. Both of these tropical vacations top out at one and two. I loved both of them.
In three words I would describe myself as hardworking, motivated, and humorous.